Ampney St Peter, Gloucestershire
Ampney St Peter, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, contiguous to Ampney St Mary, 4 miles E of Cirencester. Area of parish, 618 acres; population, 189. The living is a rectory united with the vicarage of Ampney St Mary, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £140. The church is a small edifice, dating from the early portion of the 12th century, and was enlarged in 1879. There is a Norman north door, and a small rose window in the western tower. Half a mile from the village is Ranbury Camp, the remains of an extensive encampment, either of British or Roman origin.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ampney St. Peter|
|Hundred||Crowthorne and Minety|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1620.
We have transcribed the marriages at Ampney St. Peter, 1754-1837
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a small building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, north aisle, south porch, vestry and a low saddleback tower at the west end containing 2 bells: the north aisle, vestry and organ chamber were added in 1879 at a cost of £1,707, from the plans of the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A.: the stained east window was erected by the late Dr. Bulley, President of Magdalen College, Oxford, and Margaret, his wife, as a memorial to her parents, the Rev. Edward Andrew Daubeney, a former incumbent, and to his wife; there is another memorial window to Miss Daubeney, and one given by Mrs. Richards and Mrs. Butler: the fine marble reredos is a memorial to the late Rev. Thomas Daubeney: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ampney St Peter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ampney, or Easington (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ampney St Peter are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.