Upper Lambourn, Berkshire
Lambourn, Upper, a tithing in Lambourn parish, Berks, on the Lambourn river, 1½ mile NW of Lambourn. It has a small church erected in 1868, and also a Wesleyan chapel erected in 1859.
About 1 acre of land was consecrated here in 1913 for Lambourn cemetery.
Church of England
The church of St. Luke, built and consecrated here, with a burial ground, in November, 1868, by the late Bishop Wilberforce, is a small edifice of red brick, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, the chancel only being consecrated: there are 100 sittings.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1859.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Upper Lambourn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.