UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Alvington, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Alvington, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, on the estuary of the Severn, and the Newnham and Chepstow road, 1½ mile N of Woolastone station, and 2½ miles SW of Lydney station on the G.W.R., with a post and telegraph office under Lydney, which is the money order office. Acreage, 1582, of which 8 are water; population, 408. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Woolastone, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The ancient church was a cell to Llanthony Abbey, and was restored in 1858. Clanna Falls, about a mile distant from the village is the seat of the lord of the manor.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
HundredBledisloe 
Registration districtChepstow1837 - 1937
Registration districtChepstow1837 - 1937

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Alvington 1698-1836, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.

The register dates from the year 1688.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Churches

Church of England

St. Andrew (parish church)

The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with south chapel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 5 bells: in the south chapel are mural monuments to the Noel family, and there are memorial windows to the Hon. William Middleton Noel, 1859, and Anne (Yates) his wife, 1851, Robert Alvey Darwin esq. of Elston Hall, Notts, Sir Samuel Stephens Marling bart. M.P. of Stanley Park, d. 22nd October, 1883, and Margaret (Williams) his wife, d. 13th April, 1885, and to Daniel Alfred White, d. 1891: the church was restored in 1858, and in 1890 a new choir vestry was built by Capt. W. B. Marling: in 1897 a lych-gate was erected as a memorial to the Rev. W. Allen B.A. curate here 1887-90, and in 1907 the south chapel was refurnished as a memorial to Miss Baker: there are about 200 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

For births, marriages, and deaths in Alvington from 1837 to 1937 you should search for the Chepstow Registration District.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Alvington from 1837 to 1937 you should search for the Chepstow Registration District.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Alvington from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Alvington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictForest of Dean
CountyGloucestershire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtGL15

Advertisement

Advertisement