Alveston, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, on the Gloucester and Bristol road, 1¼ mile S of Thornbury, with a post office (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Thornbury. Acreage, 2563; population, 759. Vestiges of Roman camps occur in the vicinity. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is an ancient stone edifice in the Early English style, and contains an ancient Norman font. A new church has been erected about a mile distant. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. The parish also includes the hamlets of Earthcott and (part of) Rudgway.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alveston St. Helen|
|Hundred||Langley and Swinehead|
|Poor Law union||Thornbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1742.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Helen (new) (parish church)
The new church of St. Helen, situated about a mile north of the old church, was erected in 1885, at a cost of £3,675, and is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled tower, containing a clock and 6 bells: there are 300 sittings.
St. Helen (old)
The old church of St. Helen is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower. Some Saxon remains were restored in 1911 at a cost of about £140, but the church is not now used.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alveston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Alveston (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Alveston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.