Aldsworth, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, near the river Leach, 7 miles N of Fairford station on the G.W.R., and 10½- NE of Cirencester, with a post office under Northleach (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Sherborne. Acreage, 3350; population, 372. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £120. Patron, Christ's Church, Oxford. The church stands on a hill, and commands an extensive view.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aldsworth St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Northleach|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1682.
We have transcribed the marriages at Aldsworth St. Bartholomew, 1754-1812
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Bartholomew (parish church)
The church of St. Bartholomew, anciently dedicated to St. Peter, is a small building of stone in the Transitional and Decorated styles with modern additions, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisle, north and south porches and a western tower with spire, containing 3 bells: the aisle is embattled and enriched with Decorated work, and has two handsome niches, with crocketed finials: the arcade belongs to the Norman Transition period, the rest of the building being debased Perpendicular; a stoup still remains in the north porch: the communion plate consists of a chalice and paten of Queen Anne's reign: the church was restored in 1877, when the chancel was new-roofed, and a memorial east window inserted to Lawrence Smith and his sisters: there are sittings for 224 persons. The churchyard was enlarged in 1911.
Aldsworth Methodist Chapel
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel, erected in 1908 at a cost of £750, will seat 100 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aldsworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aldsworth (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Aldsworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.