Addlestrop or Adlestrop, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, near the river Evenlode, 3 miles E of Stow-on-the-Wold, with a station on the G.W.R. Post town, Chipping Norton; money order and telegraph office, Stow-on-the-Wold. Acreage, 1306; population, 164. The manor belonged to the abbey of Evesham, passed at the dissolution to Sir Thomas Leigh, and is now the property of Lord Leigh. Addlestrop House is a large and interesting mansion, partly of considerable antiquity, amid beautiful grounds laid out by Adey Repton. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Broadwell, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in 1764, and is in good condition.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Adlestrop St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Stow-on-the-Wold|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1538.
We have transcribed the marriages at Adlestrop St. Mary, 1754-1837
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Mary Magdalene (parish church)
The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an ancient building of stone, partly in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells; there are several inscribed door stones and mural tablets to members of the Leigh family: the east window is stained and there are memorial windows to the Ven. Lord Saye and Sele D.C.L. rector 1825-1852, the Hon. and Rev. Canon Henry Pitt Cholmondeley M.A. rector 1852-1905, and his wife, the late Miss Rose Evelyn Cholmondeley, d. 15 April, 1907, and to Chandos, 1st Baron Leigh, d. 27 Sept. 1850, and to Margarette (Willes) his wife, d. 5 April, 1860.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Adlestrop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Adlestrop (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Adlestrop are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.