UK Genealogy Archives logo

Woodham Walter, Essex

Historical Description

Woodham Walter, a pleasant village and a parish in Essex, 3 miles W of West Maldon station ou the G.E.R., and 8 E from Chelmsford. There is a post office under Maldon; money order and telegraph office, Maldon. Acreage, 2621; population, 491. The manor belongs to the Bird family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £399 with residence. The church was built in 1562, and is a building of brick in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisles, N porch, and wooden belfry with spire.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishWoodham-Walter St. Michael 
HundredDengie 
Poor Law unionMaldon 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Woodham Walter from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Maps

Online maps of Woodham Walter are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

DistrictMaldon
CountyEssex
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCM9
Post TownMaldon