Woodham Ferrers, Essex
Woodham Ferris or Woodham Ferrers, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 6 miles SW of Maldon, 9 SE from Chelmsford, and 3 N from Hull Bridge Wharf on the river Crouch. It has a station on the Maldon and Southminster branch of the G.E.R., and a post office under Chelmsford; money order and telegraph office, Danbury. Acreage, 4482; population, 769. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to Lord Rayleigh. A mansion of Archbishop Sandys was here, and part of it is still standing. A Black priory was founded at Bycknacre in the time of Henry III. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £539 with residence. The church, which was restored in 1884, is an ancient building originally erected in the reign of Henry II., and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western turret. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woodham-Ferris St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodham Ferrers from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Woodham-Ferris (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Woodham Ferrers are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: