UK Genealogy Archives logo

Twyford, Berkshire

Historical Description

Twyford, a village and an ecclesiastical parish on the banks of Loddon Water, in the civil parish of Hurst, Berks, on the G.W.R., at the junction of the branch to Henley, 5 miles ENE of Reading. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), and a station on the railway. The manor belongs to Lord Braybrooke. The living is a vicarage-in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £340 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford. The church, built in 1846, is a building of flint in the Early English style. There are Congregational and Reformed Wesleyan chapels. Th& charities include a school endowment, almshouses for six persons, and small sums distributed in money and clothing.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBerkshire 
Civil parishHurst 
HundredCharlton 
Poor Law unionWokingham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1847.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The church of St. Mary is a building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of five bays, aisles, north porch and south western tower containing 8 bells, 6 of which were added in 1913 at a cost of £700: the church was built in 1846, chiefly at the cost of the late Rev. A. A. Cameron, vicar of Hurst, and Miss Currey; a new north aisle was added in 1883 at a cost of £1,993: the church was restored and enlarged in 1908-10, at the cost of £4,800: there are 400 sittings.

Congregational

Congregational Chapel

There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1897 with 200 sittings.

Methodist

Reformed Wesleyan Chapel

There is a Reformed Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1853.


Civil Registration

Twyford was in Wokingham Registration District from 1894 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Twyford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Twyford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.

CountyWokingham
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtRG10
Post TownReading