Tubney, a parish in Berks, 4 miles W by N of Abingdon station on the G.W.R. Post town, Abingdon; money order office, Marcham; telegraph office, Abingdon. Acreage, 1152; population, 175. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to Magdalen College, Oxford. Tubney House is a chief residence standing in a park of about 45 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £91. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church was built in 1848, and is a small building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a western bell-turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Abingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1848.
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The church of St. Lawrence, erected in 1847, in place, but not on the site, of the old church, which had long fallen into decay, is a small building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are 90 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tubney was in Abingdon Registration District from 1837 to 1952
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tubney from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tubney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.