White Colne, Essex
Collie-White, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Colne and on the Colne-Valley branch of the G.E.R., 1 mile E of Colne railway station, and 41 miles ESE of Halstead. Post town, Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Earls Colne. Acreage, 1513; population, 346. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; value, £109 with residence. Patron, Keble College, Oxford. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style. There is a Baptist chapel, with burial-ground attached.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||White Colne All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Halstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for White Colne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Colne, White (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of White Colne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: