West Bergholt, Essex
Bergholt, West, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Cohie, near the G.E.R., 3 miles NW of Colchester. There is a post and telegraph office; money order office, Bergholt Road. Acreage, 2287; population, 1042. A circular entrenchment here is thought to have been the site of the residence of the British King Cunobeline. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £419 with residence. The church is a stone edifice in the Norman and Decorated styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Bergholt St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Bergholt from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bergholt, West (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of West Bergholt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: