Tilehurst, a village and a parish on the river Kennet, in Berks. The village stands 2¼ miles WSW of Reading station on the G.W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Reading. The parish includes Thrale village and ecclesiastical parish, which is noticed separately, Calcot hamlet, and North Street tithing. Acreage, 4930; population of the civil parish, 3184; of the ecclesiastical parishes of Tilehurst, St George, 2243; and of St Michael, 2275. The manor, with Calcot House, belongs to the Blagrave family. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value £712. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1856, and it has a fine spire. There are Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. There are almshouses for six poor women. The ecclesiastical parish of Tilehurst St George was formed in 1882 out of the parish of St Michael, and in 1887 was incorporated in the borough of Reading. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £141 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford. The church is a building in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tilehurst St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Bradfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1559.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael, almost entirely rebuilt in 1855, is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with pinnacles and spire, containing 8 bells and a clock: there is an alabaster reredos and carved oak stalls, and several of the windows are stained; the south aisle and the base of the tower are the only remains of the old building; there are 300 sittings.
There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1797, seating 350 persons.
There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Tilehurst was in Bradfield Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Wokingham Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tilehurst from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tilehurst (St. Michael))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tilehurst are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.