Weeley, a parish, with an ancient village, in Essex, on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R.,on which it has a station, 8 miles W from Walton steamboat pier, and 12 ESE of Colchester. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 1983; population of the civil parish, 623; of the ecclesiastical, 625. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Weeley family. Barracks and a garrison were here during the war with France. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £392 with residence. Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church, which was rebuilt with the exception of the tower in 1881, is a building of brick in the Perpendicular style. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weeley St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weeley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Weeley (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Weeley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: