Virley or Salcott Virley, Essex
Virley or Salcott Virley, a parish in Essex, 7 miles SE of Kelvedon station on the G.E.R. main line. Post town, Witham; money order and telegraph office, Tolleshunt D'Arcy. Acreage, 347; population of the civil parish, 75; of the ecclesiastical, with Salcott, 292. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Abdy. . The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, united with that of Salcott; joint gross value, £210. The church, now in ruins, is an ancient building of flint and rubble in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Virley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Virley or Salcott Virley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Virley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: