Twinstead, a parish in Essex, 4 miles from Bures station on the G.E.R., and 4½ from Sudbury. It has a post office under Sudbury; money order and telegraph office, Sudbury (Suffolk). Acreage, 1153; population, 195. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £188 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in i860, and is a building of red brick in the Middle Pointed or Geometrical style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western bell-turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Twinstead from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Twinstead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: