Toppesfield, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 1½ mile SW of Yeldham station on the Colne Valley branch of the G.E.R., 8 miles NW from Halstead, and 50 from London. It has a post office under Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Great Yeldham. Acreage, 3361; population, 796. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £560 with residence, in the gift of the Crown. The church, erected in 1519 and restored in 1895, is a building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, N and S porches, and an embattled western tower of brick, built in 1699 after the fall of the original steeple. It has a very ancient font and some old tombs and memorials. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Toppesfield St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Halstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Toppesfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Toppesfield (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Toppesfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: