Tilty, a parish in Essex, 3½ miles NNW of Dunmow, and 4½ E of Elsenham station on the G.E.R. main line. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Dunmow, under Chelmsford. Acreage, 1069; population of the civil parish, 81; of the ecclesiastical, 212. A Cistercian abbey was. founded here in 1152 by the Earl of Derby, and was given at the dissolution to Lord Audley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £185. The church was part of the abbey, and is an edifice of rubble in the Decorated and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a western tower with cupola.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tilty St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tilty from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tilty (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Tilty are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: