Tillingham, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 4 miles NE from Southminster station on the G.E.R.) and 7 NE by N from Burnham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Southminster (S.O.), and it formerly had a fair on 16 and 17 Sept. Acreage, 4666; population of the civil parish, 954; of the ecclesiastical, 944. The manor was given by Ethelbert, king of Kent (550-616), to the Cathedral of St Paul, and it now belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Most of the land belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £188 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church, which stands in the centre of the village, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles. It has some old brasses and a beautiful ancient font There are Baptist, Congregational, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tillingham St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tillingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tillingham (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Tillingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: