Tilbury juxta Clare, Essex
Tilbury-juxta-Clare, a parish in the northern part of Essex, 2 miles N by E of Yeldham station on the Colne Valley branch of the G.E.R., and 3½ S by W of Clare. Post town, Halstead; money order and telegraph office. Great Yeldham. Acreage, 1026; population, 163. Tilbury Court is a chief residence. The manor belongs to The Vaizey family. The living is a rectory, annexed with Allbrights to the rectory of Ovington, in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £400 with residence. The church, erected in 1517, is an ancient building of rubble in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower, and has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Halstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tilbury juxta Clare from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tilbury-Juxta-Clare)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Tilbury juxta Clare are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: