Thorrington, a parish in Essex, on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R., on which it has a station, 8 miles SE from Colchester. It has a post and money order office under Colchester. Acreage, 2057; population of the civil parish, 384; of the ecclesiastical, with Frating, 618. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to St John's College, Cambridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, annexed to that of Frating; joint net value, £427 with residence, in the gift of St John's College, Cambridge. The church is an edifice in the Transition style, with an embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thorrington St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorrington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thorrington (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Thorrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: