Tendring, a village and an ancient parish, which give name to a hundred, union, and petty sessional division, in Essex. The village stands on the Holland Brook, 10½ miles SW from Harwich, and 2 N from Weeley station on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R. It has a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Weeley. Acreage, 2874; population, 830. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Cardinall family. The manor house is a good mansion, standing amidst fine pleasure grounds. A fair was formerly held here on 14 Sept., but this has become obsolete. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £630 with residence. Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church, which stands on an eminence, is a building of rubble, chiefly in the Transition style, from Early English to Decorated, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, N porch, organ chamber, and an embattled western tower with spire. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tendring St. Edmund|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tendring from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tendring (St. Edmund))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Tendring are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: