Sutton, a parish in Essex, 1 mile SE from Rochford, and 2¼ miles N of Southend stations on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Rochford. Acreage, 700; population, 156. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £188. The church, which was well restored in 1869, is a building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a western tower and spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: