Sturmer, Stourmere, or Sturmere, a village and a parish in Essex, on the Stour Valley branch of the G.E.R., 1¼ mile SE of Haverhill. There is a station on the railway, and a post office of the name of Sturmer under Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Haverhill. Acreage of the civil parish, 995; population, 342; of the ecclesiastical, 351. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Stanley family. Sturmer Hall, an old moated mansion, is now occupied as a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value£267 with residence. The church is an ancient building of nibble in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western tower. It was restored in 1877 and 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Risbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sturmere from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: