Stifford, a parish, with an ancient village, in Essex, 2 miles N by W of Grays station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 10 SE of Romford. It has a post office under Grays; money order and telegraph office, Grays. Acreage, 1595; population, 376. Since the census the population has considerably increased. The manor and most of the land belong to the Whitmore family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £280 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone and flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, chapel, N porch, and western tower with an octagonal broach spire. It has some good stained windows, six ancient brasses, and a pulpit of 1611. It was beautifully restored in 1862 at a cost of £1500.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stifford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stifford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stifford (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: