Stapleford Tawney, Essex
Stapleford Tawney, a parish in Essex, 5 miles ESE of Epping, and 4 W from Theydon Bois station on the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office at Passingford Bridge, 1 mile S; telegraph office, Abridge. Acreage, 1657; population of the civil parish, 216; of the ecclesiastical, 351. Suttons is a good modern mansion of stone standing in a well-timbered park which is crossed by the river Roding. The living is a rectory, united with Theydon Mount, in the diocese of St Albans, joint net value, £610 with residence. The church is a small but ancient building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and western belfry with spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tawney Stapleford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stapleford Tawney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stapleford, Tawney (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Stapleford Tawney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: