Sutton Courtenay, Berkshire
Sutton Courtney, a village and a parish in Berks. The village stands near the Thames, 2½ miles S of Abingdon, and 2 S from Culham station on the Didcot and Oxford branch of the G.W.R., and has a post office under Abingdon; money order and telegraph office, Abingdon. The parish includes Appleford chapelry and Sutton Wick township, and comprises 4322 acres; population, 1489. The manor belongs to Lord Wantage. The manor house is a curious edifice of the time of Edward III., and belonged to the Abbots of Abingdon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £300 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is a building of stone in the Gothic style. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton-Courtney All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Abingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1539.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Norman, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches, and a western tower containing 6 bells and a clock: the church retains an old stone altar; on the north side of the chancel is an altar tomb and a recumbent effigy of a priest in an Easter sepulchre, with foliated arch: on the south side of the chancel is a piscina: the chancel screen is 15th century, and over the chancel arch are the royal arms of the Stuarts: other screens cross the aisles: the south porch has a parvise, reached by a curious staircase: the church was repaired in 1903 at a cost of £1,230, and during the restoration an ancient painting of St. George and the Dragon was discovered on the north wall: the font is Decorated: a pulpit of the Jacobean period was presented by Capt H. E. A. and Mrs. Lindsay as a memorial to the late Lord Wantage: the organ was also presented as a memorial to the late Theobald Theobald and Mrs. Theobald by Capt F. C. Theobald and other members of the family: the east window was filled with stained glass in 1912 by Mrs. Cambridge Theobald, Mrs. Liversidge and Miss Goodson in memory of their mother the late Mrs. Goodson, of The Grange: there are 200 sittings.
There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1793, which affords sittings for 130 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Sutton Courtenay was in Abingdon Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton Courtenay from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sutton-Courtney (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sutton Courtenay are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.