UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stanford Rivers, Essex

Historical Description

Stanford Rivers, a parish, with two hamlets known as Little End and Toot Hill, in Essex, 3 miles SW by S of Ongar station on the G.E.R. It contains Ongar Workhouse, and has a post office under Romford ½ money order office, Passingford Bridge; telegraph office, Ongar. Acreage, 4414; population, 982. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Cunliffe-Smith. Littlebury, now a farmhouse, was formerly a manor house of considerable importance, and was held for some time by the Rivers family, who gave their name to the parish, and are said to have built the present church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £616. Patron, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is a plain but ancient building chiefly in the "Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, and a western tower of wood with spire. It has several ancient brasses and some memorials of the Petres and Stuarts. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishStanford-Rivers St. Mary 
Poor Law unionOngar 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stanford Rivers from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Online maps of Stanford Rivers are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

DistrictEpping Forest
Postal districtCM5
Post TownOngar