Stanford le Hope, Essex
Stanford-le-Hope, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Thames and the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, on which it has a station, 10 miles SSE of Brentwood. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Acreage, 2518; population, 1093. The manor belongs to the Scratton family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £608 with residence. The church, which stands on rising-ground, is an ancient and interesting edifice of stone in the Norman, Early English, and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled pinnacled tower. A narthax, comprising vestries for choir and priest and a porch, were added to the W front in 1891. A lych gate was also built the same year. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Standford-Le-Hope St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanford le Hope from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Standford-Le-Hope (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: