Springfield, a parish in Essex. It is bounded on one side by the river Chelmer, and is adjacent to Chelmsford; communicates with that town by two bridges, crossing two branches of the river; takes its name from numerous springs falling into the Chelmer; contains wharves, gasworks, H.M. prison, and the offices of the county constabulary; and has a post and telegraph office under Chelmsford; money order office, Springfield Hill. The prison was built in 1825 at a cost of £57,000, was enlarged in 1879, further improved in 1871, and has accommodation for about 360 prisoners. The parish is crossed by the Colchester road, and, running parallel with this, by the main line of the G.E.R., and comprises 2908 acres; population, 2636. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £752 with residence. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of rubble and brick chiefly in the Perpendicular style. It contains the brass of an unknown knight of 1420 date, and has some modern stained-glass windows, and a good brick tower completed in 1586. The Church of the Holy Trinity, situated at the lower end of the parish, is a building of brick in the Norman style, and was erected as a chapel of ease in 1843 at a cost of about £3000. There are a Wesleyan chapel, ten almshouses, and some small charities. Goldsmith resided sometime at Springfield, and is supposed to make allusions to it in his " Deserted Village." Strutt, the author of " Sports and Pastimes," was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Springfield All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Springfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Springfield (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: