Salcott, a village and a parish in Essex, on a creek of the Blackwater estuary, 7 miles SE of Kelvedon station on the main line of the G.E.R., and 8½ SSW of Colchester, and sometimes known as Salcot Wigborough. There is a post office under Kelvedon; money order and telegraph office, Tolleshunt D'Arcy. Acreage of the civil parish, 274; population, 217; of the ecclesiastical, 292. Part of the land is salt marsh. A fair for peddlery is held on 4 Sept. The living is a rectory, united in 1879 to that of Virley or Salcot Virley, in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £173. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of nave and chancel, S porch, and an embattled western tower. The whole was carefully restored in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Salcott St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Salcott from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Salcott (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: