Roxwell, a parish, with a village, in Essex, on the Can, a feeder of the Chelmer, 4½ miles W by N of Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chelmsford. Acreage, 4782; population, 766. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The manor belongs to Lord Petre. Skreens Park, which is situated about 1¼ mile west of the village, was originally the property of Sergeant William Skrene, who flourished in the reign of Henry IV. The mansion is a square building of brick, standing in a park of about 300 acres. It has belonged for about two centuries and a half to the Bramston family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £208 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is a building of flint and stone in the Late Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, N porch, and bell turret with spire. It has some good stained windows, and it contains some memorials of the Bramstons. Blackwall, Boyton Cross, and Chalk End are adjacent hamlets.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Roxwell St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Roxwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Roxwell (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Roxwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: