UK Genealogy Archives logo

Rettendon, Essex

Historical Description

Rettendon, a parish in Essex, adjacent to the river Crouch, 6 miles NNE of Pitsea, and 3½ SSE of Chelmsford. It contains the village of Battles Bridge, which has a station of the same name on the G.E.R. and a post office under Chelmsford; money order office, Battles Bridge; telegraph office, Wickford. Acreage, 3718; population, 758. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Bullen family. A seat of the Bishop of Ely was here, and became a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £483. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a building of rubble in the Perpendicular style; consists of nave, N aisle, chancel, and chapel, with tower and spire; and contains some ancient brasses and some very fine tombs and monuments. There are Congregational chapels at Rettendon Common and Battles Bridge.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishRettendon All Saints 
HundredChelmsford 
Poor Law unionChelmsford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Rettendon from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Maps

Online maps of Rettendon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

DistrictChelmsford
CountyEssex
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCM3
Post TownChelmsford