Ramsden Bellhouse, Essex
Ramsden Bellhouse, a parish, with a village, in Essex, adjacent to the river Crouch, 2½ miles E by S of Billericay, and 2½ W of Wickford station on the G.E.R. It has a post office, of the name of Ramsden Heath, under Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Billericay. Acreage, 2738;. population, 395. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Stock Harward, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net value, £400. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a western tower with shingled spire. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ramsdon-Bellhouse St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ramsden Bellhouse from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ramsdon-Bellhouse (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Ramsden Bellhouse are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: