Radwinter, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Pant, 4½ miles E by S of Saffron Walden station on the G.E.R., and 6 ENE of Newport. It has a post and telegraph office under Saffron Walden; money order office, Wimbish. Acreage of parish, 3876; population, 799. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £593 with residence. The church is of local stone in the Decorated style, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with massive tower and tall spire. It has ten stained windows, a carved oak reredos dating from the beginning of the 16th century, and a fine gilded screen separating the chancel from the nave. There are six almshouses and a reading-room. Brockells and Stocking Green are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Radwinter St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Radwinter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Radwinter (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Radwinter are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: