Quendon, a village and a parish in Essex, adjacent to the river Stort and the London and Cambridge railway, 3 miles N by W of Elsenham station, and 2 S from Newport station, both on the G.E.R., and 6 S by W of Saffron Walden. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newport (S.O.) Acreage of parish, 657; population, 171. There is a reading-room in the village. Quendon Hall, a mansion of brick standing in a pleasant deer park, is a seat of the Byng family, who are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £124 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1861, and is a small building of flint, stone, and rubble in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Quendon from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Quendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: