Pentlow, a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 1 mile S from Cavendish station on the Sudbury and Haverhill branch of the G.E.R., and 5½ miles NW from Sudbury. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Cavendish. Acreage, 1898; population, 316. There is a parish council consisting of five members. An octagonal tower was erected in the rectory grounds in 1859 by the Rev. R. Bull to the memory of his father; is a fine structure in the Tudor style; and commands an extensive panoramic view, which includes about forty-six churches The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £300 with residence. The church is an ancient and interesting building of flint in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of apsidal chancel with N chapel, nave, S porch y and an embattled round tower at the W end. It has an Early Norman font and some ancient tombs and monuments. The nave and chancel have been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pentlow St. George|
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pentlow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pentlow (St. George))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: