Paglesham, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 1½ mile W of the E end of Wallasea Island, 5 miles NE by E of Rochford station on the G.E.R., and 9 NE by N of Southend station on the G.E.R. and London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. It has a post office under Rochford (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Rochford. The parish contains also the hamlet of East End, and a part of Wallasea Island called Grapnells. Acreage, 2017; population, 491. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. The manor was given in 1066 by Ingulf to Westminster Abbey. Oyster fishing is largely carried on, large quantities being exported to France and Holland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £320 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church, a building of brick and stone in the Perpendicular style, consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. The rectory house was built in 1862, and the church was restored in 1883 and reseated in 1894. There is a church mission-room at East End.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Paglesham St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Paglesham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Paglesham (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: