Sulham, a pretty village and a parish in Berks, 2 miles SSE of Pangbourn station and 2½ N from Theale station, both on the G.W.R., and 4½ W by N of Reading. There is a post office under Reading; money order and telegraph office, Pangbourne. Acreage, 716; population, 149. Sulham House is a fine country residence pleasantly situated in beautiful grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £153 with residence. The church was rebuilt in t838, and is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sulham St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Bradfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Sulham 1723-1836, Berkshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1730.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas, rebuilt in 1838, chiefly at the expense of the late Rev. John Wilder M.A. rector 1836-92, is an edifice of stone and flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, separated from the nave by an oak screen with brass railing, nave, organ chamber, north porch and a western tower with pinnacles and a lofty spire, containing 6 bells, the gift of the Rev. John Wilder M.A. in 1879; the windows are all stained: the church contains several marble tablets to members of the Wilder family; the marble font was presented by John Wilder esq. in 1733; in the year 1845 it was inclosed in new stone work, with four marble columns, given by the Rev. J. W. Eden, and subsequently placed in the present baptistery: the churchyard is planted with shrubs and evergreens, and in the centre is a beautiful cross of Portland stone about 14 feet high, the gift of the late Rev. John Wilder M.A. richly carved with various emblems of the Blessed Redeemer and the Holy Trinity: there are 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Sulham was in Bradfield Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Wokingham Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sulham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sulham (St. Nicholas))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1899
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sulham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.