Norton Mandeville, Essex
Norton Mandeville, a parish in Essex, near the river Roding, 2½ miles NE of Ongar station on the G.E.R. Post town, Ingatestone; money order and telegraph office, Chipping Ongar. Acreage, 775; population, 135. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £61. The church is a small structure of stone and shingle in the Norman style. There is also a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Norton-Mandeville All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Norton Mandeville from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Norton-Mandeville (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Norton Mandeville are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: