New Sampford, Essex
Sampford, Little or New, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Pant, 3½ miles ENE of Thaxted, and 7 from Newport station on the G.E.R. Post town, Braintree; money order and telegraph office, Finchingfield. Acreage, 3322; population of the civil parish, 451; of the ecclesiastical, 340. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Sampford Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £384 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church, which dates from the 14th century, is a building of flint partly Norman but chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, N and S porches, vestry, and an embattled western tower with spire. It contains some ancient and interesting tombs and monuments.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: