Navestock, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Boding, 4 miles SSW of Ongar station, 5 NW from Brentwood station on the G.E.R., and 6½ NNE of Romford, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office at Navestock Side under Brentwood. The parish includes the hamlets of Navestock Side, Navestock Heath, and Horseman Side. Acreage, 4518; population, 736. There is a parish council consisting of seven members besides a chairman. The manor was given by King Edgar to St Paul's Cathedral, and by Queen Mary to the ancestor of Earl Waldegrave, and with Navestock Park belongs now to Lord Carlingford. Dudbrook, a very pleasantly situated mansion, is a seat of Lord Carlingford, and Abbotswick Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £297 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Oxford. The church is a large building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with wooden tower and shingled spire. It has some ancient tombs and monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Navestock St. Thomas the Apostle|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Navestock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Navestock (St. Thomas the Apostle))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: