Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire
Stratfield Mortimer, a village and a parish in Berks, 7½ miles SSW from Reading. There is a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 3032; population of the civil parish, 1236; of the ecclesiastical, 1397. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Benyon family. Wokefield House is a handsome mansion standing in a park of 210 acres. Mortimer Hill, Mortimer House, Mortimer Lodge, Oakfield, and Warennes Wood are chief residences. Cattle fairs are held here on 27 April and 6 Nov. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, in the gift of Eton College. The church, rebuilt in 1869, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and a lofty western tower and spire. It contains some ancient brasses and monuments. A second church (St John's) was erected in 1882 on Mortimer Common, and enlarged in 1895. There is also a small Primitive Methodist chapel. Some valuable charities produce about £200 a year, and there is a dispensary supported by voluntary contributions. The village club is a most commodious edifice built in 1892. Wokefield is a tithing 1 mile W.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stratfield-Mortimer St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bradfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1681.
Church of England
The church of St. John, erected in 1881-2, at a cost of £8,000, wholly defrayed by the late Richard Benyon esq. of Englefield, and opened in Feb. 1882, was considerably enlarged in 1896, and is an edifice of red brick with stone dressings, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, baptistery, organ chamber, and a western tower containing 6 bells and a chiming apparatus; the reredos is a large folding triptych, with painting by Mr. N. H. J. Westlake, of scenes from the life of Christ: the stained east window was the gift of J. H. Benyon esq. and there is a memorial window to Captain Verney Lovett-Cameron, R.N., C.B.; in the south aisle, formerly the nave, is another altar with a separate painted reredos.
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin, rebuilt in 1869, at the cost of the late Richard Benyon esq. J.P. of Englefield House, and completed in June, 1896, is an edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel with aisle, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches, vestry, and a western tower with spire, together 160 feet high, and now containing 8 bells, the 6 bells of 1702 having been recast and 2 new bells added; the cost of the whole was £17,000: in the church are some ancient monuments and brasses to Richard Trevet, alias Hasylwode, 1441, with effigy in armour, and Johanna his wife: a brass, in the chancel, was placed by the parishioners in memory of the Rev. Robert John Gould, 20 years vicar of the parish, who died April 28th, 1880: there is also a bronze tablet with the names of the incumbents since 1307, presented in 1905 by the Rev. C. L. Lovett-Cameron M.A. vicar 1880-1913: in the chancel is an ancient Saxon slab, found below the chancel of the former church, and commemorating Œdelward, supposed to be the Ealdorman of Hampshire; the probable date is about 1020: the organ was given by Mrs. Dobson: there are 550 sittings.
There is a Congregational chapel.
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel with 80 sittings.
Stratfield Mortimer was in Bradfield Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Wokingham Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stratfield Mortimer from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stratfield-Mortimer (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stratfield Mortimer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.