Moreton, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Roding, 1½ mile N from the road from Epping to Ongar,3 miles N by W of Ongar station on the G.E.R., and 6¼ NE of Epping. It has a post office under Chipping Ongar; money order and telegraph office, Cliipping Ongar. The parish comprises 1475 acres; population, 428. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Alger family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £262 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church is a plain building of flint and brick, with brick tower and shingled spire. It has an ancient carved stone font and a monument of 1623. There are a Congregational chapel, a national school, endowed with £23 a year, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Moreton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Moreton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Moreton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Moreton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: