Middleton, a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 2 miles S from Sudbnry station on the G.E.R. Post town and telegraph office, Sudbury; money order office, Ballingdon. Acreage, 876; population, 142. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £329 with residence. The church is partly Norman and partly Saxon, with a wooden spire; was recently restored; and has fine stained glass windows, and a carved oak reredos. It contains a tomb of James Samison, formerly rector of Middleton, who died in 1349.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Middleton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Middleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: