UK Genealogy Archives logo

Mayland, Essex

Historical Description

Mayland, a parish in Essex, midway between the rivers Blackwater and Crouch, 8¼ miles SE of Maldon, 4 NW from Burnham,and 2 W from Southminster station on the G.E.R. Post town, Maldon; money order and telegraph office, Southminster. Acreage, 1877; population of the civil parish, 203; of the ecclesiastical, 212. The manor belongs to St Bartholomew's Hospital, London. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £126. Patron, St Bartholomew's Hospital, London. The church was rebuilt in 1867, and is a building of Kentish ragstone in the Early English style. Bishop Gauden, the author or editor of part of " Eikou Basilike," was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishMayland St. Barnabas 
HundredDengie 
Poor Law unionMaldon 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Mayland from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Maps

Online maps of Mayland are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

DistrictMaldon
CountyEssex
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCM3
Post TownChelmsford