UK Genealogy Archives logo

Matching, Essex

Historical Description

Matching, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 3½ miles E of Harlow station on the G.E.R., and 8 NE of Epping. The parish contains also the hamlets of Howsham Tye, Matching Tye, Newmans End, and Matching Green, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, of the name of Matching Green, under Harlow. Acreage, 2416; population, 540. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of seven members. The manor belongs to the Selwin-Ibbetson family. The living is a, vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £180 with residence. Patrons, the trustees of Felsted School, on the nomination of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a building of flint and stone in mixed styles, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower, and was almost wholly rebuilt in 1875. There is a Congregational chapel &t Matching Tye and at Matching Green.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishMatching St. Mary 
HundredHarlow 
Poor Law unionEpping 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Matching from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Maps

Online maps of Matching are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

DistrictEpping Forest
CountyEssex
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCM17
Post TownHarlow