Steventon, a village and a parish in Berks. The village stands on the G.W.R., on which it has a station, 4.½ milea SSW of Abingdon. It figured long in connection with a castle built in 1281, and with a Benedictine priory founded in the time of Henry L and dependent on the abbey of Bee in Normandy. It is traversed from end to end by an ancient causeway, planted on both sides with trees, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office designated Steventon (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 2401 acres; population, 878. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor, with part of the land, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £273. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is an edifice of stone in the Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Steventon St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Abingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The earliest register in possession of the parish dates from the year 1558 only, but there is an earlier register, dating from 1553 to 1559, now in the British Museum, and forming No. 2,395 in the Harleian collection of MSS.
Church of England
St. Michael and All Angels (parish church)
The church of St. Michael and All Angels is a building of stone in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and an embattled tower on the south side containing 6 bells: on the south side of the nave are two arches of unequal span, one Early English, the other Decorated; the tower arches are good Decorated, with richly moulded imposts and curious and rich carving; the windows are chiefly Decorated and Perpendicular; there is an unusually ornamented piscina in the chancel of the latter period, and stone sedilia in the south wall: the font is also Perpendicular: the east window is stained, and there are two memorial windows on the north side of the chancel to the Rev. William Harley M.A. ten years vicar of this parish, who died May 11th, 1870, and to two former members of the choir. There are two brasses, one in memory of the Wiseman family, of elaborate Elizabethan design, and one at the foot of the chancel steps in memory of the Do family, 1480, of Transition period, showing the rosary and hunting knife: there are about 300 sittings. In the churchyard is a stone cross, restored in 1836.
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel is a small structure of brick, with stone dressings, in the Gothic style, and was built in 1861.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Steventon was in Abingdon Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Steventon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Steventon (St. Michael))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Steventon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.