Mashbury, a village and a parish in Essex, 5½ miles NW of Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. Post town, Chelms-ford; money order office, High Easter; telegraph office, Great Waltham. Acreage, 898; population of the civil parish, 154; of the ecclesiastical, with Chignall, 357. Mash-bnry Hall and Mashbury House are farmhouses. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Chignall, in the diocese of St Albans; joint gross value, £430. The church is a small but ancient building of rubble of the Norman period. The belfry, injured by lightning in 1872, was rebuilt in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mashbury from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Mashbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: