Markshall, a parish in Essex, 2 miles N by W of Coggeshall, and 5 N from Kelvedon station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Coggeshall, under Kelvedon. Acreage, 813; population, 50. The manor was held at the Conquest by Nigel under the Montforts; then by the De Meres or Merkshalls from the time of Henry II. till Queen Elizabeth's time; passed to the Coles, the Deraughs, and in 1605 was purchased by the Honywoods, to whom, with Marks Hall, it still belongs. The ball is a large edifice in the Tudor style, standing in a well-timbered deer park, and has a portrait of General Honywood on horseback by Gainsborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £150 with residence. The church, which adjoins the hall, was rebuilt in 1876 by Mrs Honywood as a memorial of her husband.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Markshall St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Witham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Markshall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Markshall (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Markshall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: